- Nick Lowe once sang, "This rut I am in, it once was a groove." Beatmakers try to find a new groove in that old rut. #
- Also @artmrkt, quite a bit of Bruce Conner as well as, for the collagists in the house, Jess. #
- Solid stuff at @artmrkt today. If you go, see the dresses-as-sound-installations at front door & homage-themed Catherine Clark Gallery set. #
- When a high-school band walks by, you really wish you'd had RJDJ already running. #
- Headed to @artmrkt in SOMA — should be there around 1pm. If anyone happens to see/hear anything soundy there, lemme know. #415 #
- Nice. "Euphonic coordination": my credit on artist @salvagione video (I connected him with band's track) http://goo.gl/HBbZd #
- I'm more likely to defend Flash widgets (vs Flash sites) when Reader isn't freezing my laptop & Flash doesn't need repeated updates/reboots. #
- RT @Billforman Apologies if that was too many RTs. Got nothin' original to say this morning. #
- A truly magical, slender musical device: an LP record arriving via mail from Australia no worse for the journey. #
- Genius. @GlennF proposes [Walter] "Benjaminagram" app that takes photos "incapable of being transmitted from the device" #throughamemedarkly #
- Video just posted of art installation by Paolo Salvagione: http://vimeo.com/23971458 I coordinated the score, by Grand Canonical Ensemble. #
- Just sent out first Disquiet.com email newsletter in more than a year. I forget email is still a primary form of news for many people. #rss #
- RT @susangrayblue You'd be having fun with layers of sound our Nashville cicada brood produces. Under full moon, clicks. Today, two hums. #
- RIP, Snooky Young (b. 1919), lead trumpet in Doc Severinsen’s 'Tonight Show' orchestra http://goo.gl/RQYJr #
- By definition, generative music is most potent when it takes on a life of its own. #
- Air app by Peter Chilvers (Brian Eno Bloom collaborator) & Sandra O'Neill now supports background play. Listen while you read. #
- [email protected] Thanks, re: that Hang reference. You seen this Otomata-inspired Monome clip? http://vimeo.com/23782810 A reader provided it. #
- Local library doubled shelf space for comics. #
- Confused by guy talking into cassette tape on sidewalk. Then realized it's an iPhone case. #
- In honor of my new Twitter background image (by @brianhagen111), great ukulele-sampling: http://soundcloud.com/simple-eyes/violence #
- RT @colinholter ASCAP email: "May is Month to Monotize Your Music." You heard 'em: Mix all your stereo files down to mono. via @jazarimusic #
- If I mistakenly attribute field recordings to anything I write about in the next week, blame the birds in the back yard. #
- [email protected] Thanks. Listening now. But I mean the opposite: not no "post-production," just no-"post"; i.e., all "production." #
- Wind a constant drone in the chimney, like how a snare drum buzzes on stage in between sets. #
- I tend to prefer music for which the phrase "post-production" is redundant. #
- Photo of Big Boi & Terry Riley in Burger King that's been circulating is gift that keeps on giving http://lockerz.com/s/101414677 #
- Wouldn't a true William S. Burroughs”“themed @burroughsbot cut up and mix the tweets it re-tweets? #
- I have a new Twitter background this month, a uke drawn by @brianhagen111, but Twitter profile settings aren't, well, setting. #status #
- "@geetadayal: also carrying 1981 Laurie Anderson/Burroughs collab, Rzewski, & Varese. Dangerous ideas!" [The people united will always …] #
- Thanks again to @owenfreeman for having drawn my Twitter background this month. Today has been its final day. #
- "@geetadayal: security screening 'enhanced' due to vinyl records, which they took out and tested." Listening for backward messages? #
- "@abest: MIDI files" A MIDI loop seems like a likely contender for audio equivalent of an animated GIF. #
- “@debcha: @disquiet @Hybernaut Sample loops, surely?”Definitely a loop, but wonder if it is more specific. #
- “@thejorgecolombo: @disquiet Crankable music boxes?”I like that. Or, maybe ringtones? [Re: What's the sound equivalent of an animated gif?] #
- Wondering if there's a sonic equivalent of (or parallel to) an animated GIF, and if so what it is. #
- Rome Drone: '70s Terry Riley video http://goo.gl/bJcWB Try in multiple out-of-sync browser tabs (via @gregdavismusic @soundohm) #
- Doing interview with @earslap on generative sound confirmed for me unique benefit of email interviews: tracking back to discussion forks. #
- Cellular automata, generative sound, digital fragmentation, wind chimes: discussing Otomata with @earslap: http://goo.gl/kStjs #
- Noon siren in San Francisco: filtered through unceasing typing. #
- Evening sounds: cars on wet street, wind rustling in living room's chimney, whirring TiVo mistakenly convinced it'll be turned on before bed #
- RT @cobra_mike Just stepped outside into the kind of deathly quiet you only hear before a huge storm. #eartwit #
- Le Guin on Miéville/genre: "When he wins the Booker, the whole silly hierarchy will collapse, and literature will be much the better for it" #
- I have been a Ton Kiang loyalist for many years, but Hong Kong Lounge, just down the block, rocked my lunch expectations today. #dimsum #415 #
- When I saw Stephen Hawking's name is trending, I mistakenly assumed he had died. Instead, he's talking about death. #
- The (natural) acoustic landscape of Portugal: http://goo.gl/xS0xD via @mediateletipos #
- Today is, at least in regard to the 354 people I follow, the quietest Twitter day in recent memory. (Not a cue to start RT'ing neat links.) #
- Completed an excellent interview with a developer about sound, generative precursors, randomness, browser fragmentation. Will post shortly. #
- RIP, producer Jack Richardson (b.1929), among whose hits was Guess Who's "American Woman"; dad of producer Garth (Rage Against the Machine). #
- It's cute watching Twitterbots flirt and fill up each other's dance card over the weekend, only for them to disappear come Monday morning. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments