- Street sounds. Shot while with @boondesign, a block from the street for which the filter is named. #415 http://t.co/5TIa6055 #
- RT @markrushtoncom: re my Tweet linked in http://t.co/5CevNhcI Yep, it’s true! I’m still processing the advances. Cc @otolythe @HILOBROW #
- Wow. Almost 4,000 people in 24 hours listened to the http://t.co/JGWMqeHB interview in which we discuss the creative benefits of restraint. #
- The RIAA’s vision of the future of the home stereo. http://t.co/xVKDPXrh #
- This is Anthony Braxton’s new jam: http://t.co/QyY72CXy. #
- Severed cockroach leg as music visualizer. #ted #
- #longweids RT @otolythe: @HILOBROW #longreads interview w/ @disquiet on #Junto eno,franklin,pessoa,philipsz,remix http://t.co/VTAK8mEy #
- Major thanks @iamseams (Jami Welch) for this tremendous podcast opportunity: http://t.co/JGWMqeHB 3500 listens in less than 24 hours. Crazy. #
- Thanks! RT @debcha: Great interview with Marc Weidenbaum (behind the Junto project and Instagr/am/bient) at @hilobrow: http://t.co/5CevNhcI #
- Thanks, man. RJDJ rules. RT @dizzybanjo: New podcast from @soundcloud ft @disquiet & the junto I have been part of http://t.co/oPtJZSas #
- Bill Nye: Vampire Killer #TED #
- Upcoming Disquiet Junto themes: reflective remixing, program music, graphic scoring, aural comics. Current: cross-species collaboration. #
- Disquiet Junto #9 is announced. Combine provided sounds of guitar & bird song into one original track: http://t.co/BbqFVCI6 #
- The theme for the ninth Junto project: cross-species collaboration. #
- Disquiet Junto project #9 TBA shortly. More tuneful than recent text/ural ones. Of course, participants have final say in that regard. #
- Proud to help inaugurate this great new series. RT @SoundCloud: Introducing our new podcast ‘SoundCloud Speaks’. http://t.co/lrL2GOzV #
- The gap between my understanding of Tom Waits and the fact that his Magical Trunk has repeatedly wanted me to play with it on Facebook. #
- I guess the final print edition of @ShonenJump is out. Proud to have edited it for 5 years, eventually as Editor-in-Chief. #manga #milestone #
- Not watching #TED today. Intermittent TED-tweeting will resume Friday morning, 8:30am California time. #
- Thanks! RT @otolythe: Sometimes the best secret societies aren’t secret at all: listen up with #DisquietJunto @HILOBROW http://t.co/bcvHXOBJ #
- Super great. RT @debcha Great report/overview of Junto project by @otolythe. RT @HILOBROW: NEW TODAY: Disquiet Junto http://t.co/9XbOMdsA #
- Disappointed URL2.la only made 1/3 of its http://t.co/ny1PCJVy goal. Really wish I’d done more to push it. Fortunately, the site goes on. #
- Fine-tuning the next Junto. Bunch of good stuff coming. Lemme know if you want on the email announcement list. #
- Excellent. RT @iamseams: Working on the edit of my interview with @disquiet for the new @soundcloud podcast I’m making: http://t.co/uv43OmgC #
- Belatedly joining the #TED stream today. #
- RIP, Davy Jones (b. 1945) of the Monkees. Tonight I’ll listen to his “Your Personal Penguin” (by Sandra Boynton) with my 18-month-old. :( #
- If Emma Hendrix’s (@Irezicle) beat-ification of Ben Franklin’s autobiography doesn’t wake you up, nothing will: http://t.co/XQfiAjHf #junto #
- Makes sense TED opened with music from Peter Gabriel’s Last Temptation score, since all the speakers are using his wireless headset. #
- Mesmerized by the mass gesticulations of audience members waiting for TED to resume for the 5pm talks. #
- “Even through the squeaks of his hearing aids … his understanding of music was profound.” Michael Tilson Thomas on his dad, Ted. #TED #
- “Of all my sculptures, this one is the most talkative.” Reuben Margolin at #TED http://t.co/4msLLKrq #
- Biggest thing I’ve learned so far today is you can do worse than setting @zoecello as the root of your @pandora_radio station. #
- I had a math fail. I’m now all the more qualified to make optimistic tech predictions. RT @richardnixon: @disquiet 13,005 x 3 = 39,015 #math #
- Dow closes above 1/3 of 36,000 for first time since May 2008. Seems appropriate, timed to #TED #039;s opening day. #wiredpredictions #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco while Peter Diamandis makes the familiar case that the present is the best present there’s been. #TED #
- Brian Greene made it through his string-theory/multiverse presentation without mentioning The Authority. #conspiracy #TED #
- TED opened with musical variations on a cellphone ring. #
- I’ll be watching TED for much of the week (while working on things). Anything/body sound-y I should keep an ear out for? Please lemme know. #
- Evening sounds: passing cars, bouncing basketball, footsteps, neighbor’s music (very quiet), crackle of TV (now off) slowly cooling. #
- Bunch of new Junto participants this week; 47 tracks so far. Remixed Ben Franklin faces almost as fun as the sounds: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- The nerve! Kids treating toys like toys. RT @my_fun: @disquiet I’ve had to repair the toy piano … due to my daughters pounding on it #
- Been a long day. I meant 18-month-old. #
- My 16-month-old is developing the prepared ukulele. I said, “Play more softly.” This resulted in the improvised use of a butterfly plushie. #
- Details & pre-order info on @JohnKannenberg‘s forthcoming exhibit catalog, for which I wrote the foreword: http://t.co/qRXSE0yQ #
- From the distance, I always think it is Jefferson and Washington. #415 #ggpark http://t.co/DuhhJ2he #
- With 24 hours left, 3 dozen sentences from Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography have been turned into audio art in Junto 8 http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- If you love “sf but not sf” reviewing: “owes at least as much to fairy tale and myth as it does to science fiction” http://t.co/6o5dNwcZ #
- Johnny Cash would have turned 80 Sunday. #
- Nice. At least one person’s using text-to-voice in the Franklin autobio Junto: http://t.co/HbhXxCjq “a loud and clear voice” #
- Had we assigned text for the Benjamin Franklin autobio remix we coulda done a Randy Greif”“style collective revision of a chunk of it. #junto #
- Maybe Mac-user bonding has less to do with branding & OS finery, more to do with knowing whom to ask to borrow a power cable from in a cafe. #
- Street sounds #415 http://t.co/AzJBbjaX #
- “Just rework a song from your last record.” #obliquefailurestrategies #
- Funny @jbutlerjbutler focused on fire depts using Leafcutter John’s software since latter makes me think of hydrophones http://t.co/9JmrPZaE in reply to jbutlerjbutler #
- Google should loan one of its “beta” tags to Apple so Apple can put it on Lion’s full-screen and Spaces implementations. #
- As someone who listens to a lot of film scores and instrumental hip-hop, I wanna hear what Zimmer/Pharrell are up to: http://t.co/d1eixfdw #
- Lineup at Wulf in LA makes me wanna move there. Not going to, of course. My life’s here. But I need to visit even more often. #
- Junto participant from Tilburg, Netherlands, locates word “Junto” in Benjamin Franklin’s text and makes the most of it: http://t.co/XaJ9NJo9 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments