- Congrats to @aQuariusrecOrds for the 400th edition of its weekly-ish email newsletter. #
- Instagr/am/bient Index: @soundcloud (33,800 listens), @freemusicarchiv (12,928 downloads, 4,987 listens), @internetarchive (2,765 downloads) #
- Nix that last summary of Instagr/am/bient listens and downloads. I mixed up the @freemusicarchiv numbers. Repost in a second. #
- Instagr/am/bient Index: @soundcloud (33,800 listens), @freemusicarchiv (12,928 listens, 4987 downloads), @internetarchive (2765 downloads) #
- Industrial Mondrian: Ceiling tiles such as these generally are accompanied by a major HVAC hum. http://t.co/rwLULb3x #
- “Indiscriminate Sound” by Mauricio Ancalmo. Part of exhibit at Park Life gallery in San Francisco. http://instagr.am/p/Lluo4rrIjI/ #
- Very pleased with @instagram implementation on Disquiet-dot-com sidebar. I’m @dsqt on @instagram. #
- Not a speaker. (Unidentified device on bathroom wall at cafe.) http://t.co/C0Xe9X7l #
- Disquiet Junto Index: 22 weeks, 22 projects, 950 tracks, 200 participants, 191 email-list members, 499 discussion posts:… #
- Each week the Disquiet Junto proposes a project to musicians. Week 23: a “palindrome of drones.” Subscribe at http://t.co/f2a6ojd6. #
- This is good. Latest OS X version quietly (get it?) brought back OPTION+SHIFT incremental volume control: http://t.co/tgh8g33r #
- Car alarm triggers dog barking. It’s sonic Rube Goldberg here in the Richmond District. #
- A sound diary is about reflecting as much as it is about recording. #
- #tapememory RT @floyd_kelley: @disquiet Denon Metal were the way to go (at $5 a pop) #
- When I commissioned the Instagr/am/bient album I was an @instagram skeptic. Now I post daily (dsqt) and just added sidebar view to Disquiet. #
- #tapememory During college recorded interview with Ladysmith Black Mambazo on Emmylou Harris tape. Result: unintended/unintelligible mashup #
- #tapememory MT @entroporium: Arguing passionately with friends about best recording practices. Normal Bias with Dolby C was the way to go. #
- #tape RT @entroporium I worked in stereo store, used my cassettes as demos. Frequently people hit REC, creating phantom dropouts in my music #
- #tapememory MT @taylordeupree: homemade compilations from college radio with song beginning cut off as i scrambled to ready the recorder. #
- Biked to ocean for first time in too long. Intense wind. Sand like little daggers. Birds fly in place. #
- Yeah, it’s 2012, which means out of the blue you might get an IM from a Polish musician as (their) midnight approaches. Life is good. #
- Slow fizz echoing from inside this soda can on my desk has me constantly wondering if it’s started to drizzle outside. #
- Among the many pleasures of Clone Wars is James Arnold Taylor channeling Ewan McGregor channeling Alec Guinness. #
- Received many cassette-sound memories. If you have more lemme know. I may compile them into a post (cf. http://t.co/Xqe2hvTG). #
- Realizing I entirely missed the San Francisco Tuesday noon siren yesterday. Was on bus listening to advance of new Keith Fullerton Whitman. #
- #rewind #tapes MT @empire_of_dust: I’ll always remember sound they made, and how it changed when it was near the end, so I knew it was ready #
- RIP, Platters’ Herb Reed (b. 1928). Fave Platters nod: how Nick Lowe sings/produces the word “pretender” in “What’s Shakin’ on the Hill.” #
- O.G. Respect to Steve Jackson. http://t.co/O8cAVRZS #
- This Ogre Kickstarter success is insane. I’m hoping for a G.E.V. repeat. #
- The sense memory of just how long it takes to rewind a cassette. #
- Nostalgia for home taping is enlivening music. #
- RIP, Ray Bradbury (b. 1920). http://t.co/aoGiCi4Z #
- Honored that @cakemusic earlier today forwarded my Jaron Lanier / Gadget thoughts to its readers: http://t.co/4gOmNfVT #
- Masses of honking outside city hall in San Francisco. Protest? Wedding? Protest about weddings? #
- 23rd Disquiet Junto project will focus on drones (sonic sort, not hovering militaristic sort). The 24th will focus on functional music. #
- Indeed. RT @GlennF: “Kurt Cobain wouldn’t have been hawking his Kickstarter campaign”: motto of someone not getting it. http://t.co/WmTvQWIo #
- “It’s like 4:33 24/7 with you.” Wonderful comment on the Disquiet Facebook page just now. https://t.co/GrFBswkU #
- Morning sounds: refrigerator drone, distant traffic, intermittent pings (email/IM/DM), occasional house creaking. #
- The lead track off the Fernando Pessoa”“themed remix project LX(RMX) is nearing 1,000 listens: https://t.co/jOjXHBLs. #
- Disquiet Junto live concert planned for Denver on Aug. 19. Shoot me a note if you’re interested in participating or attending. #
- Perfect produce for the Fluxus “Make a Salad” performance work. http://t.co/rcjNjPGA #
- Just a note that I have never thought not to caption one of my Instagram uploads. http://t.co/3xsNjPid #
- Mass emails thanking you for something you didn’t do really push PR insincerity to a new level. #
- I’d like a @personinterest skin for @soundcloud. #
- We haven’t had a straight-up shared-sample Disquiet Junto project in awhile. If anyone has thematic or source suggestions, lemme know. #
- Few things please the ear like the rattle of a shoebox short-order diner. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (7 of 13): Home Decorating in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
- Rewinding 2021 in The Wire
- Buddha Machine Variations No. 40 (MBP BMV VCV)
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (6 of 13): Laraaji in 2015
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (5 of 13): Our Lives in the Bush of Disquiet