- Today’s Hardly Strictly priorities: Anderson/McLaughlin (11am, Banjo), Lloyd Cole (noon, Rooster). #
- Tonight on Fringe the Observers let slip their deep, dark secret — that Rogaine is people! #
- Giggle worthy: Brian Eno, still not an inductee in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. More thoughts: http://t.co/iZ6yVVjA #
- Not a fan of the airborne part of Fleet Week. #
- Second line parade in Valencia Street. #
- Finding underlined text in an old physical book feels like surveillance. Doing so in a Kindle book feels like you’re being surveilled. #
- What a physical site for public speaking looks like mid-construction. http://t.co/Qu8jZfmw #
- The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass app’s UI is whittled to priorities: Schedule, Map, Info, Warren. #
- Old Marc: “In the future you’ll live where Nick Lowe plays for free every year walking distance from your house.” Young Marc: “Yeah, sure.” #
- 40th Disquiet Junto project goes out momentarily. This week we’re adding a third part to a Kenneth Kirschner duet. #
- Hardly Strictly Bluegrass started looking like people form roots acts so they can be rationalized as participants. Still, a great lineup. #
- Alvin Luci(f)er #
- Adele’s Skyfall theme song is an odd bird. It’s extravagantly retro in a way the revived franchise is anything but. http://t.co/RgpFqODK #
- Waiting for the Diego Bernal album Coffee with the DJ. #
- 90% of which look like 1976. RT @tperkis: RT @valentinatanni: “10% of all photos ever taken were shot in 2011.” Fortune magazine, 9/24/12 #
- Restaurant-data visualization, old-school. Check out the pegboard in this obituary for a Catskills figure: http://t.co/LLwrbREw #
- “Can I Get an Accountant” #debatesongs #
- “The Corporations in Your Neighborhood” #debatesongs #sesamestreet #
- “Zinger! Went the Strings of My Heart” #debatesongs #
- #sonifythedebate RT @EvieN: Romney saying “crushing” a lot like he thinks he’s some kind of rock critic. #
- This cafÃ© seems to simply have a Steely Dan CD and a Pink Floyd CD alternating. It’s like cultural whiplash in slow motion. #
- Reminder: tomorrow’s @djunto project (the 40th weekly project) will employ the music of Kenneth Kirschner. #
- Today’s sound class: The Jingle: market callers â†’ verse; did radio ads invent hit singles; music-licensing dramaturgy; Fringe plays its hand #
- Maybe it’s some sort of natural echo, but the foghorns are blasting some seriously attenuated notes this morning. #
- RIP, British studio guitarist Big Jim Sullivan (b. 1941), whose discography is bigger than many people’s record collections. #
- RIP, singer R.B. Greaves (b. 1943; “Take a Letter, Maria”), whose “Always Something There to Remind Me”was bested on charts by Naked Eyes’. #
- Nearing-midnight sounds: refrigerator hum, drone of distant passing car, low level electric whir. #
- “I’m gonna play some music and if it’s really annoying lemme know. The emphasis is on ‘really.'” #
- Today’s productivity sponsored by âŒ˜â†“ #
- Man, I miss Dennis Potter. #
- This #MoviesWithKotsay thing is further proof that if I don’t recognize a name on Twitter it is invariably sports-related. #
- Fringe final season episode 1 has Walter going on about music’s power. Episode 3 is titled “The Recordist.” I couldn’t be happier. #
- If my house could speak it would be saying, “I am not used to being warmer on the outside than the inside.” #
- stem swap #
- Tuesday noon siren against the rumble and rattle of a microwave. #
- I don’t write on food much but my ramen-chef interview & dim-sum overview are in new @SactownMagazine, print only. Latter’s the cover image. #
- Video of BenoÃ®t Rolland, stringed-instrument bow maker among this year’s MacArthur Fellows (“Genius”) grant winners: http://t.co/aqUKdsCW #
- RIP, trombonist Eddie Bert (b. 1922), veteran of bands of Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Stan Kenton, and others: http://t.co/gj7dmOan #
- Very excited: the 40th @djunto project will build on the music of Kenneth Kirschner. #
- Sang Marvin Gaye’s “Pride & Joy” to my 2-year-old as a lullaby for a month. It transformed into an imagined Social Distortion cover. #
- RIP, car-racing commentator Chris Economaki (b. 1920), whose voice “reminded some of a rumbling racing engine”: http://t.co/LHddh73z #
- For people who enjoy film scores and confuse Cliff Martinez and Clint Mansell, the universe upped the ante with Nathans Johnson and Larson. #
- OK, I now have a humorously sizable number of beta invites to the website art.sy. If you want one, lemme know. #
- Oh, those art.sy invites I mentioned yesterday are spoken for. I’ll mention it if I get some more. #
- Today’s productivity powered by âŒ˜Y. #
- Whew. Stopped at Shoki Ramen in Sacramento for lunch, and it turned out to be the last day of its tomato ramen. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice