- Have had Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City" running on repeat in my head since Ed Koch's death was announced. ->
- You're pretty much assured several interesting conversations at 8am on a Saturday at a supermarket. ->
- This weekend the Disquiet Junto is probing Buryat, Navajo, and Zulu for their emotive content: http://t.co/lSzme8ob ->
- My interview with almost-90-year-old painter Gregory Kondos is in Feb/Mar issue of @SactownMagazine http://t.co/cEZKYt6a. Print-only for now ->
- I like living in a neighborhood where the library has a shelf labeled "New Russian Books." ->
- Finished Kelly Link's Magic for Beginners. What of hers should I read next? ->
- RIP, Muzak (b. 1934). Well, the name Muzak: http://t.co/zSeofBoo (via @jaschahoffman) ->
- I did it. Now 22â‚¬ shy of goal. MT @mapmap: Help make it happen for 'The Falling Rocket' http://t.co/VJncxQJD #indiegogo ->
- Thank you, Muzak, for announcing name change day before start of course I teach on sounds & branding in media landscape http://t.co/zSeofBoo ->
- RIP, Reg Presley (b. 1941) of the Troggs. #wildthing ->
- Panel from Guy Delisle's Burma Chronicles: http://t.co/uxrlKoXW ->
- San Francisco Tuesday noon siren especially loud today. "This is a test. This is a test of the outdoor warning system. This is only a test." ->
- April 6. That's the date on which Christian Marclay's The Clock opens at SFMOMA: http://t.co/VDRdWgWl. Runs through June 2. ->
- This week's @djunto project is a netlabel remix. Next week's will involve the human voice again. ->
- "Metallica signature" sneaks from Vans. Lars Ulrich pair could be mistaken for "Talking Heads Fear of Music signature": http://t.co/6qOuprkd ->
- Apparently the Green Arrow (excuse me, Arrow) got Steve Aoki to DJ the opening of his new club tonight: http://t.co/eEvgPPMT ->
- Day one of the new semester of the course on sound in the media landscape that I teach. ->
- Overview here: http://t.co/Havc3p4m. MT @gr3gjsmith: Tweet is useless w/o syllabus! MT @disquiet: Day one of the course on sound I teach. ->
- In past 24 hrs Muzak changed name, Swiss Beatz joined Monster, Metallica debuted Vans line, Apple sold 25th billion song. In time for class. ->
- New restaurant in my 'hood (Richmond District, San Francisco) run by folks who own Chinatown dim sum spot City View. That is promising. ->
- Been very much on my mind. MT @vuzhmusic: This suggests to me Vine is @djunto-ready “@snooksarmy: Beats By Fire #loop http://t.co/WRO2yyku” ->
- RIP, Paul Tanner (b. 1917), last living Glenn Miller alum; played theremin on Beach Boys' " Good Vibrations":… ->
- Instructions for the 58th Disquiet Junto project have gone to the email list, which now has 409 members: http://t.co/f2a6ojd6. ->
- The 58th @djunto is a netlabel remix of Endless Ascent. Details at: http://t.co/XdREURGZ + http://t.co/mMpNLxNR. Deadline: 11:59pm Monday. ->
- OS X Mail.app is a much more powerful program than its documentation or UI want you to think it is. ->
- The writing on my Disquiet site dates back over 20 years, yet I only just used the word "scrotum" for the first time: http://t.co/yUBVOH6y ->
- If you're in Berkeley on Sunday or early this coming week, the work I did with @salvagione @boondesign @sfcb will be at the Codex book fair. ->
- 300th active member is 1st timer. MT @Icarus_Descent: Icarus Descent's 1st contribution to @djunto: https://t.co/D9w21Zz8 #ambient #drone ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice