- Have had Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City" running on repeat in my head since Ed Koch's death was announced. ->
- You're pretty much assured several interesting conversations at 8am on a Saturday at a supermarket. ->
- This weekend the Disquiet Junto is probing Buryat, Navajo, and Zulu for their emotive content: http://t.co/lSzme8ob ->
- My interview with almost-90-year-old painter Gregory Kondos is in Feb/Mar issue of @SactownMagazine http://t.co/cEZKYt6a. Print-only for now ->
- I like living in a neighborhood where the library has a shelf labeled "New Russian Books." ->
- Finished Kelly Link's Magic for Beginners. What of hers should I read next? ->
- RIP, Muzak (b. 1934). Well, the name Muzak: http://t.co/zSeofBoo (via @jaschahoffman) ->
- I did it. Now 22â‚¬ shy of goal. MT @mapmap: Help make it happen for 'The Falling Rocket' http://t.co/VJncxQJD #indiegogo ->
- Thank you, Muzak, for announcing name change day before start of course I teach on sounds & branding in media landscape http://t.co/zSeofBoo ->
- RIP, Reg Presley (b. 1941) of the Troggs. #wildthing ->
- Panel from Guy Delisle's Burma Chronicles: http://t.co/uxrlKoXW ->
- San Francisco Tuesday noon siren especially loud today. "This is a test. This is a test of the outdoor warning system. This is only a test." ->
- April 6. That's the date on which Christian Marclay's The Clock opens at SFMOMA: http://t.co/VDRdWgWl. Runs through June 2. ->
- This week's @djunto project is a netlabel remix. Next week's will involve the human voice again. ->
- "Metallica signature" sneaks from Vans. Lars Ulrich pair could be mistaken for "Talking Heads Fear of Music signature": http://t.co/6qOuprkd ->
- Apparently the Green Arrow (excuse me, Arrow) got Steve Aoki to DJ the opening of his new club tonight: http://t.co/eEvgPPMT ->
- Day one of the new semester of the course on sound in the media landscape that I teach. ->
- Overview here: http://t.co/Havc3p4m. MT @gr3gjsmith: Tweet is useless w/o syllabus! MT @disquiet: Day one of the course on sound I teach. ->
- In past 24 hrs Muzak changed name, Swiss Beatz joined Monster, Metallica debuted Vans line, Apple sold 25th billion song. In time for class. ->
- New restaurant in my 'hood (Richmond District, San Francisco) run by folks who own Chinatown dim sum spot City View. That is promising. ->
- Been very much on my mind. MT @vuzhmusic: This suggests to me Vine is @djunto-ready “@snooksarmy: Beats By Fire #loop http://t.co/WRO2yyku” ->
- RIP, Paul Tanner (b. 1917), last living Glenn Miller alum; played theremin on Beach Boys' " Good Vibrations":… ->
- Instructions for the 58th Disquiet Junto project have gone to the email list, which now has 409 members: http://t.co/f2a6ojd6. ->
- The 58th @djunto is a netlabel remix of Endless Ascent. Details at: http://t.co/XdREURGZ + http://t.co/mMpNLxNR. Deadline: 11:59pm Monday. ->
- OS X Mail.app is a much more powerful program than its documentation or UI want you to think it is. ->
- The writing on my Disquiet site dates back over 20 years, yet I only just used the word "scrotum" for the first time: http://t.co/yUBVOH6y ->
- If you're in Berkeley on Sunday or early this coming week, the work I did with @salvagione @boondesign @sfcb will be at the Codex book fair. ->
- 300th active member is 1st timer. MT @Icarus_Descent: Icarus Descent's 1st contribution to @djunto: https://t.co/D9w21Zz8 #ambient #drone ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0544 / Feedback Loop / The Assignment: Share music-in-progress for input from others.
• 0543 / Technique Check / The Assignment: Share a tip from your method toolbox.
• 0542 / 2600 Club / The Assignment: Make some phreaking music.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 544 consecutive weeks to date.