- Comics are a gateway drug. Playing Super Crate Box because I read about it in a Jeff LeVine comic. ->
- Yeah, I'll definitely be doing so. MT @Le_Berger: @disquiet Will you participate in this particular Junto? Would seem beffiting somehow. ->
- So glad you made time. RT @ethanhein: New @djunto track: my audiobiography. http://t.co/LOatfBvobW ->
- IRCAM should start a nightclub called IRCPM. ->
- This made my morning, to be sure: RT @iIRCAM: @soundblog @disquiet :) ->
- The single piece of computer equipment I have used the longest is the $99 CanoScan LiDE 600F scanner I bought in 2002. ->
- Man, this past week's Person of Interest was something. I'm much more interested in parallel narratives than musical episodes. ->
- Almost 40 musicians talk about themselves and their work: https://t.co/nmTVAhqFRo The 60th @djunto project. ->
- Somehow it took 60 weeks, but I just posted my first track to the @djunto group: https://t.co/KCYrcHCJ6J ->
- And you look up and an hour has gone by during which you have just been playing with nominally 5/4 beat patterns in DM1. ->
- "the super-swively neck further enhances the power to sample the ambient soundscape" — Owl science at http://t.co/iFxgbnAjWj ->
- Giving a guest talk this afternoon, on sound, to a class on writing for radio at the Academy of Art here in S.F. ->
- Movie commentary tracks ripped to MP3 are my new jam. ->
- Had foresight to set out my digital audio recorder four minutes in advance of the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. Uploading audio now. ->
- lowercase numerals #ambientypography ->
- em-elipsis #ambientypography ->
- exhalation point #ambientypography ->
- en-elipsis #ambientypography ->
- air quote #ambientypography ->
- demicolon #ambientypgraphy ->
- Recording I made of the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: https://t.co/HUjYU68FHl ->
- Nice. RT @taylordeupree: @disquiet implication-mark #ambientypography ->
- After 3 weeks of deep-listening bootcamp, today in my course on sound in media landscape we begin with roots of music + commerce: the jingle ->
- Definitely. When we get to product design. MT @matr77: @disquiet you doing a bit about Brian Eno's Windows 95 sound? http://t.co/QagxI5bRv4 ->
- Dance remix of the San Francisco Tuesday siren I posted earlier: https://t.co/x26eOT231M. Thanks, @rawore! ->
- This week's @djunto project will be based on @textinstagram. ->
- textinstagr/am/bient ->
- This week's @djunto is pretty straightforward but ended up with about 8 steps. It goes live shortly. Shortly means "after I eat lunch." ->
- Okey doke, if you're on @AppDotNet, I'm now @disquiet over there, too. (Thanks, @qdot.) ->
- In @djunto 61 we'll interpret random @textinstagram tweets as covers of singles: http://t.co/WFrQLliKhX + http://t.co/XjWrMj8rJr ->
- Watching Zero Hour, but mostly looking forward to the @io9 post-mortem. ->
- "For an auditory neuroscientist … reviewing this book was not unlike an arachnophobe reviewing a book about breeding spiders." ->
- Previous tweet is @SethSHorowitz on @katherinebouton's new book on hearing loss: http://t.co/5Px0UrMbKi ->
- The pointy hill was, for moments, visible through the thick mist that accompanied the transition from February to March, a sneak peak. #test ->
- Obama's comment was a trial-balloon critique of JJ Abrams' unwieldy galactic power in advance of sci-fi franchise regulation. ->
- Portable foghorn: http://t.co/qHQssBSLV8 ->
- Instructions for portable foghorn: http://t.co/zyBjewRplo ->
- There are 5.4+ million search returns on Google for "Hello would you mind letting me know which web host you're working with." ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0477 / Flying Blind / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which some substantial portion is performed without looking.
• 0476 / IAH Forecast / The Assignment: Here's your next single's cover. Now record it.
• 0475 / Low End (4 of 3) / The Assignment: Remix a trio by doing forensics on its component parts.
• 0474 / Police Action (3 of 3) / The Assignment: Complete a trio by adding a track to an existing duet by two other musicians
• 0473 / Placebo Effect (2 or 3) / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio that others will complete.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 477 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments