- Abstract sound is healthy. MT @RealMarkRushton: 3 mile run this morning. Partly for exercise. Partly to acquire sound for the week's @djunto in reply to RealMarkRushton ->
- Sick to my stomach that this 1909 Maxfield Parish mural done for the Palace Hotel has been removed for sale: http://t.co/Z0tNP5DlGR ->
- The Palace Hotel bar should replace its Maxfield Parish with local artist's work, or rotating gallery of local work: http://t.co/Z0tNP5DlGR ->
- Learned that the two-hour guest broadcast I did on @KUSFinExile last November went offline, so I uploaded it here: https://t.co/cLLRbv7Xvd ->
- Done! #palace #parish #petition RT @tobiemarx: @disquiet You & everyone who cares about this should sign the petition http://t.co/dlaclTPYyo ->
- The Disquiet Junto is now 25 tracks shy of its 2,000th, in less than a year and three months: https://t.co/eK4AFScM6I ->
- You hit CTRL/âŒ˜ V hopeful that whatever you suddenly can't remember happens to be currently residing in your laptop's clipboard. ->
- Atmospheric data at the Conservatory of Flowers: http://t.co/r3ZmCGTnKM ->
- RIP, trumpeter Derek Watkins (68), who reportedly played on every James Bond score, Dr. No thru Skyfall: http://t.co/edNaTff7dP ->
- Hopeful that the Jobs manga trans/scanlations will be gateway drug for English readers to 7-Eleven manga and Cup Noodle manga. ->
- Wonderful news. The Palace Hotel in SF is no longer selling its 1909 Maxfield Parish mural:… ->
- Apparently Brian Eno plays keyboards on this song, "Day Before We Went to War," off the new Dido album: http://t.co/JE2WcXz8GP ->
- Tuesday noon siren mixed with the sound of my stomach urging me to eat lunch. ->
- Late evening sounds: refrigerator hum, click cascade of typing, creaking house, rumble of bus. ->
- Today's sound class: the public voice: voice acting in Italy/Japan, student projects, Nina Power on gender in British public transportation ->
- RIP, Scott Hardkiss (43), longtime San Francisco house/techno figure: http://t.co/trbnNfZ1qK, via @supermarke ->
- Anyone have luck getting @bluestacksinc on OS X to run the Android version of Google Keep? ->
- The theme of the 65th weekly @djunto music project will be asynchronous collaboration. ->
- Christian Marclay signs his new book, Things I've Heard, 3/30 at Fraenkel Gallery in San Francisco. Exhibit runs 3/29 – 5/25. ->
- Shelley Hirsch would do the singing. MT @steinbruchel: @disquiet i first read: marclay "sings" his new book :) that would be something new! ->
- Excited for today's @djunto project, a randomly segmented asynchronous collaboration based on an original piano piece by @JaredBrickman. ->
- This week's @djunto project is the 65th. And yes, next week's, the 66th, will involve backward vocals. ->
- Too eager. We'll do it twice! RT @jmmy_kppl: @disquiet @djunto i'm excited but you couldn't've waited, like, eleven & Â½ years? ->
- Been deep in text editors. Loved Mou, but it's too slow after 15k words. Sublime Text 2 is solid, but right now I'm in TextMate 2. ->
- 65th @djunto project is live: https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L http://t.co/HyjIH8Ezau. Compose for randomly assigned segment. Due Monday midnight. ->
- GoodReads page to export your library as .csv: http://t.co/JuzGxVcgva. LibraryThing page to import it: http://t.co/UcUv08iGl5. ->
- RIP, Crawdaddy! magazine founder Paul Williams (b. 1948), executor of Philip K. Dick’s estate: http://t.co/qHbU9qnPQ2 ->
- My 2.5-year-old is singing "Crazy Train" from the back seat. ->
- For @djunto participants who'd prefer 320 kbps MP3 of source file, this is 810 MB smaller than the AIFF original: http://t.co/Fg8T8FPXQD ->
- Morning sounds: laptop whir, fog horns, passing cars, typing. ->
- Cliff Martinez scored the new Robert Redford movie, The Company You Keep. I still need to watch Arbitrage — er, and Spring Breakers. ->
- The fog horns in the San Francisco Bay sound like they're tuning up for an all-weekend concert. ->
- After long week of writing, have convinced myself that the fog horns are a slow-motion Morse Code. Trying to decode now. ->
- The Disquiet Junto is now 2 tracks shy of its 2,000th: https://t.co/eK4AFScM6I. Technically we're well past 2,000, but accounts come and go. ->
- The @feedly folk are on the ball: http://t.co/CXdpXOXA2U. #rss ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice