- Abstract sound is healthy. MT @RealMarkRushton: 3 mile run this morning. Partly for exercise. Partly to acquire sound for the week's @djunto in reply to RealMarkRushton ->
- Sick to my stomach that this 1909 Maxfield Parish mural done for the Palace Hotel has been removed for sale: http://t.co/Z0tNP5DlGR ->
- The Palace Hotel bar should replace its Maxfield Parish with local artist's work, or rotating gallery of local work: http://t.co/Z0tNP5DlGR ->
- Learned that the two-hour guest broadcast I did on @KUSFinExile last November went offline, so I uploaded it here: https://t.co/cLLRbv7Xvd ->
- Done! #palace #parish #petition RT @tobiemarx: @disquiet You & everyone who cares about this should sign the petition http://t.co/dlaclTPYyo ->
- The Disquiet Junto is now 25 tracks shy of its 2,000th, in less than a year and three months: https://t.co/eK4AFScM6I ->
- You hit CTRL/âŒ˜ V hopeful that whatever you suddenly can't remember happens to be currently residing in your laptop's clipboard. ->
- Atmospheric data at the Conservatory of Flowers: http://t.co/r3ZmCGTnKM ->
- RIP, trumpeter Derek Watkins (68), who reportedly played on every James Bond score, Dr. No thru Skyfall: http://t.co/edNaTff7dP ->
- Hopeful that the Jobs manga trans/scanlations will be gateway drug for English readers to 7-Eleven manga and Cup Noodle manga. ->
- Wonderful news. The Palace Hotel in SF is no longer selling its 1909 Maxfield Parish mural:… ->
- Apparently Brian Eno plays keyboards on this song, "Day Before We Went to War," off the new Dido album: http://t.co/JE2WcXz8GP ->
- Tuesday noon siren mixed with the sound of my stomach urging me to eat lunch. ->
- Late evening sounds: refrigerator hum, click cascade of typing, creaking house, rumble of bus. ->
- Today's sound class: the public voice: voice acting in Italy/Japan, student projects, Nina Power on gender in British public transportation ->
- RIP, Scott Hardkiss (43), longtime San Francisco house/techno figure: http://t.co/trbnNfZ1qK, via @supermarke ->
- Anyone have luck getting @bluestacksinc on OS X to run the Android version of Google Keep? ->
- The theme of the 65th weekly @djunto music project will be asynchronous collaboration. ->
- Christian Marclay signs his new book, Things I've Heard, 3/30 at Fraenkel Gallery in San Francisco. Exhibit runs 3/29 – 5/25. ->
- Shelley Hirsch would do the singing. MT @steinbruchel: @disquiet i first read: marclay "sings" his new book :) that would be something new! ->
- Excited for today's @djunto project, a randomly segmented asynchronous collaboration based on an original piano piece by @JaredBrickman. ->
- This week's @djunto project is the 65th. And yes, next week's, the 66th, will involve backward vocals. ->
- Too eager. We'll do it twice! RT @jmmy_kppl: @disquiet @djunto i'm excited but you couldn't've waited, like, eleven & Â½ years? ->
- Been deep in text editors. Loved Mou, but it's too slow after 15k words. Sublime Text 2 is solid, but right now I'm in TextMate 2. ->
- 65th @djunto project is live: https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L http://t.co/HyjIH8Ezau. Compose for randomly assigned segment. Due Monday midnight. ->
- GoodReads page to export your library as .csv: http://t.co/JuzGxVcgva. LibraryThing page to import it: http://t.co/UcUv08iGl5. ->
- RIP, Crawdaddy! magazine founder Paul Williams (b. 1948), executor of Philip K. Dick’s estate: http://t.co/qHbU9qnPQ2 ->
- My 2.5-year-old is singing "Crazy Train" from the back seat. ->
- For @djunto participants who'd prefer 320 kbps MP3 of source file, this is 810 MB smaller than the AIFF original: http://t.co/Fg8T8FPXQD ->
- Morning sounds: laptop whir, fog horns, passing cars, typing. ->
- Cliff Martinez scored the new Robert Redford movie, The Company You Keep. I still need to watch Arbitrage — er, and Spring Breakers. ->
- The fog horns in the San Francisco Bay sound like they're tuning up for an all-weekend concert. ->
- After long week of writing, have convinced myself that the fog horns are a slow-motion Morse Code. Trying to decode now. ->
- The Disquiet Junto is now 2 tracks shy of its 2,000th: https://t.co/eK4AFScM6I. Technically we're well past 2,000, but accounts come and go. ->
- The @feedly folk are on the ball: http://t.co/CXdpXOXA2U. #rss ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.