- More anechoic-chamber porn: How to gauge quiet computers: http://t.co/SpcJveddW0. Via @ioflow ->
- Bonobo album poster uses "DNL" to refer to "download." Is that a common usage? ->
- Bleeker Bob's in NYC closing. Someone cursed Froyo in comment. Thought it an oddly phrased anti-Google line, but a yogurt chain's moving in. ->
- Radio in this café has played Amel Larrieux’s “No One Else”for almost two hours straight. No one seems to have asked them to turn it off. ->
- Was concerned the great battery life on my gen-2 iPad had spoiled me, but the Nexus 7 is holding up remarkably. ->
- RIP, Italian ambient musician Oöphoi (b. Gianluigi Gasparetti, 1958), founder of the magazine Deep Listening: http://t.co/U6LLJBLGqd ->
- 24.9 seconds: The average length of @djunto tracks this week, as we use text-to-speech to frame fragments of Homer’s Odyssey. ->
- That recurring dream in which you're running running running and you swipe up — and the Google Now interface appears. ->
- The cover to @austin_grossman’s new novel, You, is by @the1console. Does this mean we should listen to @jampants’ music while reading it? ->
- Tuesday noon siren, clear as the day, like there's a speaker on my roof. ->
- Thanks for this. RT @brendanaanes: @disquiet I happened to be half a block from one of the speaker poles today and measured it at 100db. ->
- William Basinski is packing his new @SoundCloud account with ambient tracks: https://t.co/gNigKqONtQ. Dozens since the first, 21 days ago. ->
- The fire extinguisher that protects the hub of the 84 miles of cables at the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House:… ->
- A detail of the patch bay in the sound room at the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House: http://t.co/HnDSFGgGut ->
- Excited to see @DavidLasky, one of the first comics creators I edited, at @MissionComics tomorrow night! https://t.co/sGL5MbmJpX ->
- Been awhile, but an email newsletter goes out to the Disquiet (.com) list shortly. You can subscribe here: http://t.co/bJzuaEu8Lj ->
- Today in sound class we tour the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco to observe the technology that undergirds acoustic performance. ->
- Apparently at some point Pacific Telephone & Telegraph ran out of covers with insignias and improvised. http://t.co/fDx6a5JJqe ->
- One good thing about the term “electronic dance music”: it freed up the term “electronic music”to be more broadly interpreted. ->
- RIP, Scott Miller (b. 1960), of Game Theory. I have been reading his book Music: What Happened? on @majortominor's recommendation. ->
- Underscore trifecta at San Francisco Kabuki: music by Patton (Place Beyond Pines), Martinez (Company You Keep), Underworld's Smith (Trance) ->
- Company You Keep (directed by Robert Redford) is third movie by Lem Dobbs with Cliff Martinez score, after Soderbergh's The Limey and Kafka. ->
- Listening to “Turn Me On Dead Man”on repeat in honor of the late Scott Miller. (Also playing it “forwards”having reversed it in Audacity.) ->
- RIP, designer Storm Elvin Thorgerson (b. 1944), best known for his Pink Floyd work (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here) ->
- RIP, Gary Biddles, singer with the new wave band Presence (also featured Lol Tolhurst and Michael Dempsey); former Cure roadie ->
- It's likely that @vuzhmusic will like this week's @djunto. Just saying. ->
- To ND or Not to ND, that is the subject of the @djunto noting @vuzhmusic’s deriv.cc netlabel: https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L http://t.co/Ddv7ZcnAbm ->
- Note to @djunto: MT @vuzhmusic: The full album download has mp3s at higher bitrate than the oggs you point to. [See: http://t.co/BI9zWoiwPZ ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0473 / Placebo Effect (2 or 3) / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 473 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments