- Junto member posted code in Supercollider, Processing, and Ruby to assist in this week's text->notes transformations: http://t.co/eHWDQChVaa ->
- Detail of projection of one of today's Oulipo sound projects. #oumupo #sfai http://t.co/DP3EfwnKkT ->
- Realizing the typography on slides I use in teaching looks exactly like the photocopied typography on concert posters I made in college. ->
- Did 4 pieces in Oulipo sound workshop: listening, woven audiobiography, subtractive composition, song form (name/room tone as source audio). ->
- Oulipian parents: my wife & I relay-read Little House to our 3-year-old, never experiencing it in full ourselves, mentally filling in gaps. ->
- So good. MT @EdieBushwick: @disquiet Do you m an H ad d to Gr n Appl books shortly for th v ning's r ading of work by th lat G org s P r c? ->
- Yow, already 37 tracks in the week's Disquiet Junto project: http://t.co/LTj2ivvc92. Proof that I'm a poor judge of what will/won't work. ->
- When Dave Eggers, in The Circle, describes the weather as cloudless I briefly think it's a comment about the Internet being down. ->
- "Email that enhances your tech lifestyle." Email taglines that encourage you to unsubscribe. ->
- This most recent Disquiet Junto project, #97, the one that ended last night, had 10 first-time participants. That's excellent. ->
- For this coming Thursday's Disquiet Junto we're going to do a project from this past weekend's Oulipo sound workshop. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- RIP, John Tavener (69), composer: http://t.co/AOXwuIe3et. (His piece Ikon of Light is a personal favorite.) ->
- Rdio seems to know me a lot better than Netflix does, and I've been cohabitating with Netflix a lot longer. ->
- â–¶ The late John Tavener's Ikon of Light: http://t.co/BRC8TyBwSs. Don't let the quiet opening trick you into setting the volume too high. ->
- There may not be spiders on Mars but the track "Dalby and Marko" from Max Richter's score to The Last Days on Mars sounds like there are. ->
- Favorite form of listening is from headphones in the pocket of my jacket on the floor of my office after forgetting to pause my MP3 player. ->
- So, "Beskhu3epnm" is misspelled (as "Beskhu3upnm") on @Rdio's track listing for Aphex Twin's Drukqs album, right? ->
- Feels like the shared, unusual double L of Ben Neill and Phill Niblock gives them some sorta ambient kinship. ->
- Actually looking forward to SHIELD, rather than just looking forward to looking forward to SHIELD. ->
- "Which non-expression is this?" SHIELD is figuring things out. ->
- Reworkings by Scanner of music of the late John Tavener for a collaboration that will never be: http://t.co/KGAQgbSYzI ->
- Today in the class I teach on sound in the media landscape (week 10 of 15): What does sound looks like? ->
- Just recognizing how inherently Oulipian the .txt format is. ->
- "Did you mean: nag a ram" — what Google displays if you search for "anagram" ->
- There's something beautiful about the potential energy inherent in a new video-game console controller photographed on a table. ->
- Music to listen to music to listen to music to. ->
- Realizing reason I like James Newton Howard's Parkland score is it sounds at times like a John Hassell / Amon Tobin mixtape. ->
- Today in sound class, student presentations on the sounds of department stores (paging @notrobwalker) and on headphone recommendations. ->
- Proud day. I fixed Aphex Twin track misspelling on @rdio. MT @RdioHelp: Thanks for letting us know! We've fixed it: http://t.co/hxvMuPWHW6 ->
- Sentence I type variations on a lot: "Despite the New Orleans area code, it is my number in San Francisco, where I live." ->
- Would swear that when HR is revealed to Carter on Person of Interest the music briefly sounds like the Emperor's Theme from Star Wars. ->
- So the primary reason Kit Kat isn't yet available for the Nexus 4 is to nudge us all for a few extra days to consider the Nexus 5, right? ->
- There's a lovely little markdown artifact in my Aphex Twin book, which I'm particularly happy about. ->
- The chapter titles from my forthcoming Aphex Twin book in the 33 1/3 series on Selected Ambient Works Volume II: http://t.co/fwDe9GX5ff ->
- Considered it. Have essay on why I didn't. MT @liminalcity: @disquiet was kind of hoping each chapter just had a texture instead of a title ->
- .@liminalcity Adding images was an option but I decided a book in text about sound would constrain itself to text. in reply to liminalcity ->
- The 98th weekly @djunto project is a "woven audiobiography" based on project from the @dlb-led Oulipo events held last week in San Francisco ->
- For this week's Disquiet Junto project you'll need a die and a mic. ->
- Was Felicity's "Tahiti" joke in last night's Arrow episode a shot across SHIELD's bow? ->
- This week's project was a nice reason to post a picture of Raymond Queneau’s Cent Mille Milliards de PoÃ¨mes. ->
- Excited that Pauline Oliveros's listed among the 2014 Whitney Biennial artists. Parsing for other sounds of interest: http://t.co/d7td8qHXmS ->
- RIP, saxophonist Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre (77) of the AACP. ->
- Anyone recall @DougCoupland on writing a character unlike yourself, putting in envelope for some time, then discovering it is like yourself? ->
- Reasons to love the present: Jimmy Page has remixed Notorious B.I.G.'s "Hypnotize": http://t.co/xZuSldTOYc. Includes glitch drum solo. ->
- Previous eldritch-school hip-hop tweet's link via @ethanhein ->
- Advice for Disquiet Junto participants who find projects don't "sound like their music": http://t.co/JKpZa1ZFxA. In brief: make new account. ->
- Excellent. RT @dirtydemos: Gonna attempt to get back on the @djunto horse this week. It's been a while. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice