- Junto member posted code in Supercollider, Processing, and Ruby to assist in this week's text->notes transformations: http://t.co/eHWDQChVaa ->
- Detail of projection of one of today's Oulipo sound projects. #oumupo #sfai http://t.co/DP3EfwnKkT ->
- Realizing the typography on slides I use in teaching looks exactly like the photocopied typography on concert posters I made in college. ->
- Did 4 pieces in Oulipo sound workshop: listening, woven audiobiography, subtractive composition, song form (name/room tone as source audio). ->
- Oulipian parents: my wife & I relay-read Little House to our 3-year-old, never experiencing it in full ourselves, mentally filling in gaps. ->
- So good. MT @EdieBushwick: @disquiet Do you m an H ad d to Gr n Appl books shortly for th v ning's r ading of work by th lat G org s P r c? ->
- Yow, already 37 tracks in the week's Disquiet Junto project: http://t.co/LTj2ivvc92. Proof that I'm a poor judge of what will/won't work. ->
- When Dave Eggers, in The Circle, describes the weather as cloudless I briefly think it's a comment about the Internet being down. ->
- "Email that enhances your tech lifestyle." Email taglines that encourage you to unsubscribe. ->
- This most recent Disquiet Junto project, #97, the one that ended last night, had 10 first-time participants. That's excellent. ->
- For this coming Thursday's Disquiet Junto we're going to do a project from this past weekend's Oulipo sound workshop. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- RIP, John Tavener (69), composer: http://t.co/AOXwuIe3et. (His piece Ikon of Light is a personal favorite.) ->
- Rdio seems to know me a lot better than Netflix does, and I've been cohabitating with Netflix a lot longer. ->
- â–¶ The late John Tavener's Ikon of Light: http://t.co/BRC8TyBwSs. Don't let the quiet opening trick you into setting the volume too high. ->
- There may not be spiders on Mars but the track "Dalby and Marko" from Max Richter's score to The Last Days on Mars sounds like there are. ->
- Favorite form of listening is from headphones in the pocket of my jacket on the floor of my office after forgetting to pause my MP3 player. ->
- So, "Beskhu3epnm" is misspelled (as "Beskhu3upnm") on @Rdio's track listing for Aphex Twin's Drukqs album, right? ->
- Feels like the shared, unusual double L of Ben Neill and Phill Niblock gives them some sorta ambient kinship. ->
- Actually looking forward to SHIELD, rather than just looking forward to looking forward to SHIELD. ->
- "Which non-expression is this?" SHIELD is figuring things out. ->
- Reworkings by Scanner of music of the late John Tavener for a collaboration that will never be: http://t.co/KGAQgbSYzI ->
- Today in the class I teach on sound in the media landscape (week 10 of 15): What does sound looks like? ->
- Just recognizing how inherently Oulipian the .txt format is. ->
- "Did you mean: nag a ram" — what Google displays if you search for "anagram" ->
- There's something beautiful about the potential energy inherent in a new video-game console controller photographed on a table. ->
- Music to listen to music to listen to music to. ->
- Realizing reason I like James Newton Howard's Parkland score is it sounds at times like a John Hassell / Amon Tobin mixtape. ->
- Today in sound class, student presentations on the sounds of department stores (paging @notrobwalker) and on headphone recommendations. ->
- Proud day. I fixed Aphex Twin track misspelling on @rdio. MT @RdioHelp: Thanks for letting us know! We've fixed it: http://t.co/hxvMuPWHW6 ->
- Sentence I type variations on a lot: "Despite the New Orleans area code, it is my number in San Francisco, where I live." ->
- Would swear that when HR is revealed to Carter on Person of Interest the music briefly sounds like the Emperor's Theme from Star Wars. ->
- So the primary reason Kit Kat isn't yet available for the Nexus 4 is to nudge us all for a few extra days to consider the Nexus 5, right? ->
- There's a lovely little markdown artifact in my Aphex Twin book, which I'm particularly happy about. ->
- The chapter titles from my forthcoming Aphex Twin book in the 33 1/3 series on Selected Ambient Works Volume II: http://t.co/fwDe9GX5ff ->
- Considered it. Have essay on why I didn't. MT @liminalcity: @disquiet was kind of hoping each chapter just had a texture instead of a title ->
- [email protected] Adding images was an option but I decided a book in text about sound would constrain itself to text. in reply to liminalcity ->
- The 98th weekly @djunto project is a "woven audiobiography" based on project from the @dlb-led Oulipo events held last week in San Francisco ->
- For this week's Disquiet Junto project you'll need a die and a mic. ->
- Was Felicity's "Tahiti" joke in last night's Arrow episode a shot across SHIELD's bow? ->
- This week's project was a nice reason to post a picture of Raymond Queneau’s Cent Mille Milliards de PoÃ¨mes. ->
- Excited that Pauline Oliveros's listed among the 2014 Whitney Biennial artists. Parsing for other sounds of interest: http://t.co/d7td8qHXmS ->
- RIP, saxophonist Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre (77) of the AACP. ->
- Anyone recall @DougCoupland on writing a character unlike yourself, putting in envelope for some time, then discovering it is like yourself? ->
- Reasons to love the present: Jimmy Page has remixed Notorious B.I.G.'s "Hypnotize": http://t.co/xZuSldTOYc. Includes glitch drum solo. ->
- Previous eldritch-school hip-hop tweet's link via @ethanhein ->
- Advice for Disquiet Junto participants who find projects don't "sound like their music": http://t.co/JKpZa1ZFxA. In brief: make new account. ->
- Excellent. RT @dirtydemos: Gonna attempt to get back on the @djunto horse this week. It's been a while. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments