First Stroll

With new camera

First stroll with my new camera, first non-phone camera in 15 years, first good camera since I was a teenager

More (and in considerably higher resolution) at flickr.com, in the “disquietpxl” account.

1. Tim Walters
    [ Posted July 3, 2021, at 8:32 am ]

Took one look and thought “Fuji X100V,” and sure enough… Welcome to the club!

• Marc Weidenbaum
      [ Posted July 3, 2021, at 3:32 pm ]

Amazing. How were you able to tell? And thanks!

• Tim Walters
        [ Posted July 3, 2021, at 5:07 pm ]

I got mine a month or so ago, and have been using it daily, so (a) it’s front-of-mind and (b) the field of view and color rendition options are becoming familiar (I would guess, with limited confidence, that you’re using the ETERNA simulation).

Of course, there’s confirmation bias, since I would have stayed quiet if I’d guessed wrong… anyway, it’s a really fun camera, perfect for making the most of everyday photography.

2. Anton
    [ Posted July 3, 2021, at 11:52 am ]

I’d love to read your review of the camera after a couple of months. This has been in and out of my shopping cart once a month for about 4 months now, and I just can’t decide if I’m ready to pull the trigger on a camera purchase.

• Marc Weidenbaum
      [ Posted July 3, 2021, at 3:34 pm ]

Same here. Took me quite awhile to decide. It came down to the X100V or the X-T30. I decided I wanted to hold off on interchangeable lenses for the time being.

3. Marc Weidenbaum
    [ Posted July 3, 2021, at 5:25 pm ]

That is impressive, Tim. Hope you’re enjoying yours. Right now I’m using whatever are the default settings. Aside from occasional zooming in, I’m starting off at brass tacks. This is day two. Much learning ahead.

• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
    • January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.

• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
    • March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
    • December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
    • January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
    • December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
    • There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
    • A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)

• 0544 / Feedback Loop / The Assignment: Share music-in-progress for input from others.
    0543 / Technique Check / The Assignment: Share a tip from your method toolbox.
    0542 / 2600 Club / The Assignment: Make some phreaking music.
    0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
    0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.

• Full Index
    And there is a complete list of past projects, 544 consecutive weeks to date.