Videos Worth Streaming: Robot orchestra made of ping pong balls and glasses (engadget.com). … And a band whose instruments are a Nintendo DS (with Electroplankton) and two handheld Apple products (dhadm.com). … Music made only from sounds from the Windows OS (youtube.com — easily six or seven people sent this link to me separately, and thanks to you all). … A harp made from laser beams (engadget.com). … Ancient interview with Robert Fripp in an anechoic chamber (youtube.com, via twitter.com/kucharo). … The Meek FM, by Rob Meek and Frank Miller, is where fonts and synthesizers meet (meekfm.org, via engadget.com). … Scratching video vinyl (createdigitalmotion.com). … A sequencer triggered by bubble gum (engadget.com). … And a similar one, with ball bearings (engadget.com). … Howard Sandroff on the early days of what became Max/MSP (gearwire.com). … Australian documentary on Japanese experimental music (pinktentacle.com). The site refers to it as “experimental Japanese music,” but that may be the subject for another documentary. … Kenneth Kirschner in concert (via his brother’s blog, billinexile.com). … Winners of last year’s Circuit Building Challenge (createdigitalmusic.com). … Destroying nine Buddha Machines (youtube.com).
5 Most Recent Comments
George De Bruin: "It’s amazing what these people think is a good way to handle their business. It seems like..."
Serge: "Great music. Enjoyed the ride. "
Derval: "Hi there, Great article/interview. What might be an interesting twist would be a revisit for a compare and..."
Crysknife007: "Thanks so much for mentioning my channel of scifi sounds and glad to hear that you enjoy them...."
Pinar Akbay: "This is my monday afternoon soundtrack. I am in love with the warm sound it has. It is actually..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
- December 20 - January 4, 2015: Social-media blackout.
- January 28, 2015: First spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'm only teaching it one semester this year, just to make time for other activities.
- Early February 2015: Speaking engagement in San Francisco. Details to follow.
- February 13, 2015: First anniversary of the release of my book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
- February 22, 2015: Final day of the exhibit Momentum at the San Jose Museum of Art, featuring my three-screen, 21-track installation "Sonic Frame."
- May 13, 2015: Last spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'll next teach it in spring 2016.
- December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
- Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: 0128: Write a score to accompany a short piece of text you wrote a year ago today. • 0129: Create tones to match five of the new emoji. • 0130: Create a composition by altering an ongoing loop • 0131: Create a composition that naturally extends from the whistle of a tea kettle. • 0132: Collaborate with the late Jeffrey (Nofi) Melton using a previous tribute track. • 0133: Compose an especially short and concise composition. • 0134: Compose music to accompany one minute of a dance video by Cori Marquis. • 0135: Record the sonic equivalent of air conditioning. • 0136: Recombinate work from the netlabels Nowaki, Phantom Channel, and Rec72. • 0137: Produce an original piece of music that fits the genre "old-time electronica." ... There is a complete list of projects here.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto linkblog live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice