Videos Worth Streaming: Robot orchestra made of ping pong balls and glasses (engadget.com). … And a band whose instruments are a Nintendo DS (with Electroplankton) and two handheld Apple products (dhadm.com). … Music made only from sounds from the Windows OS (youtube.com — easily six or seven people sent this link to me separately, and thanks to you all). … A harp made from laser beams (engadget.com). … Ancient interview with Robert Fripp in an anechoic chamber (youtube.com, via twitter.com/kucharo). … The Meek FM, by Rob Meek and Frank Miller, is where fonts and synthesizers meet (meekfm.org, via engadget.com). … Scratching video vinyl (createdigitalmotion.com). … A sequencer triggered by bubble gum (engadget.com). … And a similar one, with ball bearings (engadget.com). … Howard Sandroff on the early days of what became Max/MSP (gearwire.com). … Australian documentary on Japanese experimental music (pinktentacle.com). The site refers to it as “experimental Japanese music,” but that may be the subject for another documentary. … Kenneth Kirschner in concert (via his brother’s blog, billinexile.com). … Winners of last year’s Circuit Building Challenge (createdigitalmusic.com). … Destroying nine Buddha Machines (youtube.com).
5 Most Recent Comments
Siaosi: "I would have to admit. Art to me is music. It could be poems, words, or even just being able to feel the..."
Dave Stafford: "Marc – thanks for your kind words, Borderlands is a truly creative and remarkable music making..."
Matthew McVickar: "This is fantastic! Devin Powers/SineRider has specified the pedals used in the description of the..."
Manley Roberts: "Put this on for the phone app please "
Ian Joyce: "This was a really tough one, difficult to know where to start, but as with all challenges once the..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• November 21, 2015: Start of semi-annual social-media absentia (through January 4, 2016).
• Early December 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 4, 2016: End of semi-annual social-media absentia (started November 21, 2015).
• February 3, 2016: First class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• May 18, 2016: Final class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0229 / Fourth Worldizing: Make a piece of music with one sound source recorded three different ways. • 0228 / Three Mics: Make a piece of music with one sound source recorded three different ways. • 0227 / Treated Chord: Record a piece of music in which what changes is the treatment of the notes that comprise a single chord. • 0226 / Bucky Ball: Compose music for a fictional greatest-hits collection of the electronic music of R. Buckminster Fuller. • 0225 / Serial Composition: Sight read a late-1940s painting by Argentine artist Lidy Prati as a graphically notated score.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like