The Laughing Khokmah Ensemble has placed another fine set of gloriously broken instrumental hip-hop up on Bandcamp. Titled B Sides (drunk.), the set is all atmospheric rhythmic incongruities, from what sound like the clipped sonics of a video-game arcade of “Program.” to the echoed, darkly psychedelic funk of “Sphere.” to the strict surface-noise abstractions of “End.” It’s not all downtempo, by any means. “Aura.” plays with a threateningly cyborgian choral effect, and “Brutal.” employs a low-slung bass throb that could have been liften from a Bill Laswell live recording. The album, 17 tracks in all, is at tlke.bandcamp.com at “name your price,” which allows for free download but, hey, how about chipping in a few bucks.
5 Most Recent Comments
Larry Johnson: "Love these mini-creations. Did a remix here: https://soundcloud.com/l-a-..."
Larry Johnson: "Just this Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=05quVI7Ioqc (Quote: An alternate version of..."
Éric Legendre: "Also interesting [aside from the nice groove] to see that the piece comes with cover art & is..."
Larry Johnson: "Marc: Sent you an email with the remix attached (I think it’s the correct one). "
Ethan Hein: "Credit where credit is due: the concept for playing back the MIDI file of that Bach piece on percussion..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 28, 2015: First spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'm only teaching it one semester this year, just to make time for other activities.
• February 13, 2015: Speaking engagement in San Francisco. Details to follow.
• February 13, 2015: First anniversary of the release of my book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
• February 19, 2015: This is the "closing" event for the exhibit Momentum at the San Jose Museum of Art, featuring my three-screen, 21-track installation "Sonic Frame." The evening is part of the museum's ArtRage evening series, and runs from 7pm to 10pm. I'll likely be giving a little talk as part of it. Details TK.
• February 22, 2015: Final day of the exhibit Momentum at the San Jose Museum of Art, featuring my three-screen, 21-track installation "Sonic Frame."
• May 13, 2015: Last spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'll next teach it in spring 2016.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: • 0160: Make a one-minute field recording starting right at midnight (wherever you are). • 0159: See what music the steps of a favorite recipe yield. • 0158: Go from noise to signal with words. • 0157: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0156: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0155: Take a track and its remix and meld them into something new. • 0154: Create a track from two locked grooves • 0153: Record a short sound intended to be set on repeat. • 0152: Record your own cover version of the "song" sung/emitted by the comet Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. • 0151: Score a segment of George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead using the movie's audio as source material. ... And there is a complete list of projects here.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto linkblog live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice